Emotionally Wise Educators - Dealing with Stress and Difficult Emotions
Note: This course is only available for groups of minimum 6 participants, for a tailor-made training at the agreed date.
Inner state - our thinking and feelings have tremendous impact on ability to learn. The course offers insights to stress and emotions and develops in educators and leaders extraordinary emotional intelligence and ability to create supportive learning and teaching environment in which both learners and teachers thrive. The course is ideal for organisations committed to holistic professional development of their staff.
What will the course bring?
The seminar aims to:
- Introduce holistic model of stress and raise understanding of stress causes, mechanisms and effects
- Raise understanding of how stress impacts teaching and learning ability
- Provide the participants with practical tools for dealing with stress on everyday basis (an approach validated by extensive research and by such prestigious institutions as the Mayo Clinic & the Harvard Institute for Mind Body Medicine)
- Reduce the consequences of stress (such as poor health, absenteeism, lack of creativity, ineffective communication, inability to focus, more conflicts etc.) dramatically and develop healthy ways of dealing with everyday work demands and build culture that fosters effectiveness, team work, creativity and mutual respect
- Prevent burn-out syndrome in educators
- Enhance understanding of emotions and raise self awareness
- Increase understanding of the role of emotions in teaching and learning
- Introduce practical tools for coping with difficult emotions
- Improve the participants emotional balance
- Help the participants to identify their stress triggers and emotional triggers at work context and come up with new, more resourceful strategies
- Develop better communication skills in the participants (based on authenticity, empathy and objectivity)
- Offer techniques for accessing more of creative potential of the mind
- Expand the participants access to their intuition
- Help the participants to identify and eliminate obstacles for being at their best
- Take advantage of international group and enable exchange of experiences and ideas
The seminar uses active learning methods hence there will be plenty of group and individual exercises and experiential activities. Attention will be given to how to implement the findings and skills in real life situations after the seminar. Methods such as debate, art, role play, body movement, individual mind management technologies, pair and group exercises and mini-coaching will be used throughout the seminar. As the group will consist of individuals from different countries there will be plenty of opportunities for exploring various issues from different perspectives and learning from each other.
There will be a semi-structured interview conducted through series of emails; the interview aims to identify the participants’ particular training needs in order to fine-tune the training program to meet the needs of the individual participants, the group and the organisations they work/volunteer for. The participants will also receive a couple of “warm up” assignments prior to the seminar. Also useful information about Cyprus and mini dictionary with everyday life Greek expressions will be sent prior to their arrival.
The participants will be invited to join Inspired Learning Forum – online platform that facilitates exchange of experiences among adult education professionals and learners. Moreover, 3 months after the seminar they will be requested to answer a questionnaire in order to identify in what way they’ve been using skills they learnt on the seminar and what changes they have experienced as a result.
Training Program (day by day)
- Introduction, course overview
- Individual expectations
- Team bonding games
- Let’s talk about STRESS – part 1
- How is stress really created?
- Understanding the stress response
- Definitions and types of stress
- Identifying physical, emotional, mental and behavioral signs of stress
- Relaxation exercises that help to manage stress and integrate the learning
- Let’s talk about STRESS – part 2
- Consequences of stress
- How does stress affect my effectiveness as an educator and how it affects my learners?
- Myths and misunderstandings about stress
- Self awareness versus “autopilot”
- Stress free equals creative
- Effective techniques for Stress Management
- How can I be mindful and resourceful in the class?
- Practical applications
- Emotional wisdom – part 1
- What is emotion?
- In what way emotions affect teaching and learning ability?
- Different ways of dealing with emotions
- Self awareness – foundation for emotional intelligence
- Exercises for enhancing emotional awareness
- Trip to archeological sites and traditional villages followed by wine tasting
- Emotional wisdom – part 2
- Resistance versus emotional flow
- Thinking-feeling connection
- Practical tools for coping with negative emotions (EFT, NLP)
- Emotional intelligence in service of education
- Empathy, authenticity and objectivity – 3 pillars of extraordinary communication and education
- Mental blocks be gone!
- Identifying your beliefs on different levels: environment, behaaviour, skills, values, identity, vision
- Creating new strategies:
- Identifying the behaviours and emotional responses that you want to change
- Creating new strategies for new feelings and behaviours (different tools, e.g. visualization, role play)
- Summary, course evaluation and closure